- This event has passed.
September 18 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
An event every month that begins at 7:00 pm on day First of the month, repeating indefinitely
An event every month that begins at 7:00 pm on day Third of the month, repeating indefinitely
Peer-led workshops, classes and events that encompass all forms of recovery
How is Reimagining Recovery different from other support groups?
- “Take what works and leave the rest” is the main premise rather than an after-thought. We recognize that it looks different for everyone, and thus aim to empower the individual to make choices that foster their overall wellness. Recovery is not linear.
- We have opted to do away with the whole addictions/mental health dichotomy and instead focus on issues affecting the broad spectrum of people in recovery.
- We openly talk about harm reduction. Harm reduction is engaging in your problematic behavior but in a way that causes less damage. It can mean things like needle exchanges and safe injection sites. It can also mean drinking a few too many but deciding not to drive.
- We recognize that the personal is political and hold space for talking about how oppression in all forms influences and shapes almost every aspect of our lives.
- We believe that mental health is health. We take a holistic approach to wellness and recognize that mind and body cannot be separated from one another.
- We believe that addiction or substance use disorders are borne out of a desire to escape unbearable feelings. We as humans are hardwired to want to avoid pain, emotional as well as physical, and there should be no shame in this. We don’t take a particular stance on whether or not it is a disease but affirm that it is certainly not a moral failing.
What are events like? What should I expect?
How much do your events cost?
What are some of those other values?
We also aim to be: Non-hierarchical, anti-racist, LGBTQ2A+ inclusive, trauma-informed, introvert-friendly, open-minded, and ever-evolving.
When and where do you meet?
- Every Monday at 7-8:30pm at Taborspace (5441 SE Belmont St, Portland, OR 97215)
- Every 2nd and 4th Sunday 1-3pm at Q Center (4115 N Mississippi Ave, Portland, Oregon 97217)
- Every 1st and 3rd Friday at Alano Club PDX 7-9pm (909 NW 24th Ave, Portland, Oregon 97210)